Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility
Undergraduate Education: Davidson College, BS
Medical Education: University of Virginia School of Medicine, MD, 2007
Residency: Emory University School of Medicine, Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, 2011
Fellowship: Emory University School of Medicine, Division of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility, 2014
• Arabic (Spoken)
• Spanish (Medical)
• American Society for Reproductive Medicine
• Association of Women Surgeons
• American Medical Association
• American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
• American College of Physicians
• American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists
• 2012 'Emory Fellowship Research Award' for outstanding research proposal
• 2011 'Special Resident in Minimally Invasive Gynecology' – awarded single resident for laparoscopic surgical expertise, sponsored by AAGL, Emory University School of Medicine
• 2010-2011 Chief Administrative Resident, Emory University School of Medicine
• 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011 Apple Teaching Award. Only resident receiving 5/5 on medical student evaluations, Emory University School of Medicine
• 2008 3rd place, Resident Research Day. Endocannabinoid Levels in PCOS versus Controls, Emory University School of Medicine
• 2007 Medical Alumni Association Outstanding Student Award, University of Virginia School of Medicine
Emory University Hospital Midtown
• Endocrine Disorders
•Roberts, C and Kawwass, J. Leiomyomata uteri and myomectomy.” TeLinde’s Operative Gynecology. Wolters Kluwer Health. In Prep.
•Session, D and Kawwass, J. “Ultrasound guided operative procedures.” Ultrasound Imaging in Reproductive Medicine: Advances in Infertility Work-up, Treatment and ART. Springer. In Press.
•Berga S and Kawwass J: F1000 Recommendation of [Davies MJ et al., N Engl J Med 2012, 366(19):1803-13]. Faculty of 1000, 28 Sep 2012; DOI: 10.3410/f.715347815.793461341. f1000.com/715347815#eval793461341
•Kawwass J, Berga S: "The pathogenesis of functional and organic forms of hypothalamic amenorrhea differs, but it may be..." Evaluation of: [Caronia LM et al. A genetic basis for functional hypothalamic amenorrhea. N Engl J Med. 2011 Jan 20; 364(3):215-25; doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa0911064]. Faculty of 1000, 11 Jan 2012. F1000.com/13445977#eval14821082
•Kawwass, J. ., T. Loucks, and S. Berga. “Do Women with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome Have Increased Aromatase Activity?” Society of Gynecologic Investigation. March 2011. Poster.
•Kawwass, J., T. Loucks, and S. Berga. Metabolic and Endocrine Responses to Suboptimal Exercise Challenge in Women with Functional Hypothalamic Amenorrhea. Planned Submission in Fert Steri. In Prep.
•Kawwass, J. “Ch 39 - The risks associated with multiple gestation” and “Ch 40 – I am pregnant with triplets: what are my options?” Avoiding Common Obstetrics and Gynecology Errors. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins. Philadelphia, PA. 2011.
•Kawwass, J., T. Loucks, and S. Berga. An Algorithm for Treatment of Infertile Women with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. 2010. MEFS.15 (4); 231-239; 2010.
•Kawwass, J. ed. Emory Intern Survival Guide. 2nd ed, Handbook for all residents and off-service rotators. July 2010.
•Satpathy, H., J. Kawwass, and M. Lindsay. Novel H1N1 Virus Infection and Pregnancy. Postgraduate Medicine. 121 (6): 106-112; 2009.
•Lindsay, Michael K, S. Weiss, S. Daudi, S, J. Kawwass. Cranial hemorrhage in late pregnancy. Gynecology and Obstetrics Case Studies: Emory Healthcare Periodical. September 2009.
•Kawwass, J. Obstetrics and Gynecology Chapter. ICU Recall 3rd Ed, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. 2008.
•Jison, Maria, P. Munson, J. Barb, A. Suffredini, S. Talwar, C. Logun, N. Raghavachari, J. Beigel, J. Shelhamer, R. Danner, and M. Gladwin Blood mononuclear cell gene expression profiles characterize the oxidant, hemolytic, and inflammatory stress of sickle cell disease. Blood. 104 (1); 270-280: 2004. (Cited in Acknowledgements)